Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Lots of updating...

We've been pretty busy the last couple of days so I haven't been able to update on our little Tyler and his colic situation. I'll just start by saying it's not colic..it's reflux. :-(

On Saturday night when my Mom was staying with us, she suggested we call the on-call doctor to see what they say about the symptoms...gagging, spitting up a lot, burping then screaming in pain, etc. The advice nurse called us back and she thought it was reflux and suggested we go see the pediatrician on Monday. So, we did. Dr. S sent Tyler to take a barium test where he drinks a yucky barium drink then they take a bunch of x-rays. After 2 1/2 hours we got to leave! What a long day that was.

I heard back from Dr. S today and it looks like he's got reflux for sure. She started Tyler on Prevacid to help calm the acids in his tummy. She said they also found a hiatal hernia. She said it's not too common for a 2 month old to have this so she didn't know too much about it. She's going to put a call into a gastrointestinal doctor to see what he thinks as far as treating it. We should hear back in a couple of days..in the meantime, we're praying this Prevacid works. Really fast.

I can't even explain how guilty I feel as a mother to let all of this go on for 3 weeks..almost a whole month. I feel beyond horrible that we've been trying everything we can to help colic, yet all of those things are the exact opposite of what we should've been doing to help reflux. All of this time, we've most likely been making his reflux worse. What an awful feeling.

There's nothing worse than seeing this precious little angel screaming for hours on end until his little throat gets hoarse. In the last month, it's rare that a night goes by with me shedding a tear..or few. It'll be so nice when little Tyler's not in pain anymore.

Now for something fun...Tyler's just starting to smile at us!!! It's the cutest thing ever...and I just LIVE for his little smiles! The first smile he gave me while staring into my eyes was yesterday at the doctor's office. I got him all packed up to go and he just smiled the biggest smile! It completely melted my heart and of course turned on my happy tears! Sam hasn't seen a big smile yet...in person. I caught one on my cell phone and I sent it to him. His smile is coming soon!

Here's a smiley picture I got today....be prepared..it's so stinkin' cute!!

Here's Tyler lookin' cool in Daddy's sunglasses!


0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blog Designs