Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Tummy Check

This morning was my regular "tummy check" with Dr. D. I got lots of info- I'm glad I had my aunt there with me to be a second set of ears because he gave us lots of info and when we walked out- I already forgot a lot of what Dr. D said! I really think the pregnancy brain thing is kickin' in!


To start, they gave me the paperwork to get my gestational diabetes test done next week. I'm not really looking forward to that- I have to drink a bunch of orange glucose stuff, wait for an hour and then have my blood drawn. They recommend that I watch my carbs & sugar intake for 2-3 days before the test, as that can skew the results. Gosh, I hope I pass this one!

Dr. D said he got my results from my perinatalogist appointment on Monday and he said my overall cervical length was 1.5cm. This is what my cervix measured the day after I was admitted to the hospital- the day I had the cerclage. He asked if I was laying low and I (and my aunt) reassured him that all I do is lay in bed and get up to go to the restroom- that's it. He was glad to hear that and just emphasized the importance of staying off my feet. Although I got the temporary OK from Dr. H to sit up to eat, I decided I'm not going to chance it. I've made it this far, I can keep it going. It's not worth it!

Dr. D wants to see me back in 2 weeks, (rather than 4 weeks) for another "tummy check" and he wants to give me 2 shots of steroids for Baby K's lungs, just in case he makes an early arrival. I'm really glad he's being overly cautious with this-it makes me feel better. I go back March 18 for the 1st shot, then the 19th for the 2nd shot.

Another reason I love my doctor is because he gave me a prescription for Procardia- it's to calm my uterus in case I start having contractions. I'm taking Prometrium every night now (since my hospital stay) to help prevent contractions. This medication is if I have 6+ contractions in one hour, I take this and it will stop the contractions.  I'm hoping I won't have to use it, but again it's another bit of comfort, just in case!

Dr. D also gave me a prescription for Ambien to help me sleep. Every few nights, I just cannot fall asleep. There are a million and one things racing through my head and now it'll be nice to take an Ambien and get some ZZZ's! My nurse gave me an Ambien the night I was admitted to the hospital, and let me tell you- it was wonderful! :-)

I'm finding it difficult to see 3 different doctors concurrently throughout all of this because all 3 doctors have different outlooks on my situation. Dr. H told me on Monday that there's a possibility after 30 weeks that I can be more mobile and then Dr. D today told me that most definitely I'll be in bed for the rest of my pregnancy. I'm just learning to go with it and trust that they all are on the same page with my situation. Whatever it takes to get our precious little guy here healthy!

That's about it- wow! I didn't realize how much I wrote! I'll have another update after my Monday appointment with Dr. A & Dr. H. :-)


0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blog Designs